Seeking a Library Director
OTTERBEIN PUBLIC LIBRARY -click on link for detail on how to apply
Position – Director
Full Time – 36 hours a week
Report to – Library Board
Overall Responsibility: To provide the highest quality customer service to the Otterbein community through the responsibilities and tasks listed below:
- Responsible for the administration and management of the Library, with the direction and review of the Board.
- Function as the administrative head of the library, including making recommendations regarding work conditions, salaries, and other related matters for all staff members.
- Implement the policies adopted by the Board.
- Attend all Board meetings except those at which his or her appointment, salary, or performance is discussed or determined.
- Keep the Board informed of Indiana Laws and legislation.
- Keep current on certification requirements and inform the Board of updates.
- Assist the Board in the governance of the Library and recommend policy changes as needed.
- Prepare an annual report of the progress of the Library and submit it to the Indiana State Library and the State Board of Accounts.
- Remain current and knowledgeable about the Library and appropriate methods of operation.
- Prepare the annual budget for Board approval.
- Responsible for direction, supervision, education, evaluation, and discipline of personnel.
- Represent the Library in negotiations, public relations, and other public events.
- Establish a working schedule of all employees.
- Recommend staff for hiring.
- Manage finances of the Library.
- Ensure that expenditures are within budget limitation.
- Oversee the assets of the Library.
- Plan the annual operations of the Library to fit into the Long-Range Plan.
- Select and purchase books, movies, magazines, and related collections materials which best meet the needs and desires of the community.
- Attend professional meetings and events that relate to the interests of the Library.
- Purge collection of old/no longer used items.
- Secure adequate publicity for Library activities.
- See that necessary office and janitorial supplies are purchased.
- Collect and record fines and fees from patrons.
- Make use of the services and library consultants of the Indiana State Library.
- Report regularly to the Library Board, the State Board of Accounts, and the general public.
- Keep record of gifts and memorials.
- Be discreet in public discussions of internal Library affairs.
- Delegate tasks as needed.
- Customer service
- Circulation service
- Reference service
- Register and maintain patron accounts.
- Promote a cooperative work relationship with other staff.
- Provide a warm, hospitable environment for patrons.
- Prefer a Bachelor Degrees or equivalent experience
- Willingness and ability to obtain and pay for an Indiana Library Certification (LC4)
- Maintain the Library Certification by obtaining 75 Library Education Units (LEUs) every 5 years.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. and carry boxes of books up and down stairs.
- Understanding of library systems.
- Passionate about Otterbein and care about the aspirations and future of our community.
- Well organized and able to handle multiple tasks at once.
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to confidently handle conflict resolution.
- Willingness to adjust and have a flexible schedule.
- Knowledgeable in basic computer operations and emerging technologies.
- Independent and self-motivated.
Join us for Pinterest Night February 23rd at 6pm as we make a LUCK sign. Hopefully it will bring us all good luck beyond March.
Registration is required.
Indiana State Park admission permit is here! Check your calendar for a weekend getaway, then reserve the 2017 Permit today at the Library. Family fun combined with outdoors always is a great combination. Thanks to Indiana State Library and Indiana State Parks.
A little party never killed nobody…. PANIC AT THE DISCO 3rd Annual Murder Mystery Dinner, Fundraising Event Friday, February 17, 2017 7:00pm to 9:30pm Otterbein Public Library 23 East 1st Street, Otterbein, IN Theme & Dress Attire: 1970’s Disco Kings and Queens Silent Auction, Photo Booth & Games $25 Tickets …