Meeting Room Use Policy
1. The Otterbein Public Library provides a meeting room for public use by the community.
Priority is given to library-sponsored activities. Availability for others is determined on a
first-come, first-served basis. When not already reserved, the meeting rooms are available
for walk in use.
2. The meeting rooms are available during Library operating hours, unless the requesting group
or individual arranges to use the meeting room key for after hours use. Meeting room keys
must be checked out by a patron with an active Evergreen library account and signed in and
out by the requesting individual on a Key Signature Page (appendix C) with current contact
3. When checking out a key and/or meeting room an employee allows the patron time to go
over all policies and procedures, emphasizing the most important aspects, including but not
limited to, an implied understanding of the rules and restrictions by the patron, along with
explaining the importance of returning a key to an employee, NOT in the drop box.
4. Minors may not request use of a meeting room.
5. The meeting rooms are available free of charge. Donations are accepted. However, if
Library staff is required, there will be a fee of $10 per hour. There will also be a fee of $300
for unreturned keys.
6. The Library assumes no responsibility for personal belongings of those attending meetings
or for injuries incurred during non-library sponsored meetings. The individual who signs the
reservation form shall be held responsible for any damage or loss to the meeting rooms and
7. The public may access the meeting rooms through the front entrance to the Library or the
east side entrance to the meeting rooms. During closed hours, only entrance through the east
side entrance is permitted. There will be no access to the main portion of the Library during
8. Use of the meeting room by an individual and/or group does not imply endorsement by the
Library, its staff, or the Board of Trustees toward the ideas and actions presented at the
9. Charging an admission fee or any collection of fees connected to the use of the Library’s
meeting room is strictly prohibited. The meeting room may not be used to solicit library
patrons, including but not limited to sales, politics, or religion. However, the Library is not
responsible for what is presented or any solicitation that may occur during the public use of
the meeting room.
10. Users may not store equipment and supplies at the library beyond their scheduled meeting
11. Only the serving of light refreshments is allowed. No open flames are allowed. Under no
circumstances may alcoholic beverages be served. Trash must be placed in plastic bags
12. As in all parts of the Library, smoking, vaping and/or tobacco products are not allowed.
13. The Library does not provide supplies for non-library sponsored events.
14. Requesting parties are responsible for returning the room to original layout. This includes
turning off all lights and equipment, including those used in the restrooms.
15. A media projector, projector screen, TV and DVD player are available, but arrangements
must be made at the time of scheduling. Equipment may require staff assistance.
16. Cleaning equipment is available for the room. Trash must be placed in bags and the room
cleaned when finished. The requesting parties are responsible for all damage done to the
room or equipment during its use; and, the responsible parties may receive a bill for the
amount of damages or cleaning necessary after use.
17. Meeting room equipment may not leave the building unless it is accompanied by a staff
member. All other requests for use of this equipment must be approved by the Board.
18. The Library Board of Trustees has given the director the authority to supervise program use
and interpret these policies.
19. The library director and/or the Board of Trustees has the right to waive the regulations
whenever it is in the best interest of the community or the Library. The Board of Trustees
also reserves the right to alter or waive the rules to fit the needs of the community or the
20. Anyone in violation of this policy may be denied future use of the Library’s meeting rooms.
[Adopted 4/2008; Revised 5/2010, 9/2011, 6/2012; Reviewed 3/2015, 02/2018; Revised 02/2019; Revised 01/2020]